The Hudson Mohawk Road Runners Club is proud to announce that it has taken the Athletes for a Fit Planet’s Pledge of Sustainability to undertake environmentally- and socially-conscious decisions in planning and implementing the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon and Half Marathon Event. HMRRC is committed to “greening” our Event by reducing waste, reusing race supplies, and recycling when possible.
The Pledge of Sustainability requires an event to meet four mandatory and at least six elective environmental practices. Here is what we have pledged to make reduce the effect our Event has on our world:
For more information about the Pledge of Sustainability, see Athletes for a Fit Planet (www.afitplanet.com).
- Reduce paper waste by requiring at least 80% of total pre-registered race field to register online
[our goal is to have 100% of our registration on-line].
- Eliminate printing and mailing of paper registration forms;
- Provide recycling bins at the event for participants to use and recycle cardboard, paper, plastic and other materials;
- Provide information to athletes about public transportation options and/or provide them with ride-share options on our website [bus transportation will be provided to participants to and from the finish area to the start lines];
- Offer a clothing and shoe recycling/reuse program [there will be a t-shirt and running shoe recycling booth at our Expo on Saturday, October 6];
- Ensure that all paper used to promote the event is at least 20% post-consumer recycled stock;
- Ensure that at least 80% of all marketing and participant communications facilitated through email or website updates instead of paper mail;
- Reuse at least 80% of all signage for the event;
- Source sustainable finisher medals such as recycled/recyclable lanyards and metal and/or locally made medals from recycled materials;
- Donate unused food to a charity such as a homeless shelter or soup kitchen;
- Encourage athletes to support and environmental initiative important to the event by either volunteering time or donating money [a volunteer clean-up day will be scheduled before and after the race to remove trash and debris from roadways and bike path used for the race];
- Introduce one practice that helps conserve water and reduce water waste on the race course [we are encouraging runners and walkers to BYOB (bring your own bottle) to fill up at water stops instead of relying on paper cups];
For more information about the Hudson Mohawk Road Runners Club, see (www.hmrrc.com).